Thursday, July 22, 2010

Secret Window

First Image of the Week (July 24)

Hi everyone,
My plans are taking off, even though slowly with my first photo of the week update. Henceforth, I will try to put up one picture that I like for its effects - art, asthetics, simplicity - or just if it says something. The photograph was taken at Jantar Mantar, a great tourist draw in the heart of India's capital city Delhi. Built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II of Jaipur around 1710 A.D. it is also called Delhi Observatory. It consists of 14 buildings and the words jantar mantar literally mean the calculation instrument.

It was one of the five observatories built by the Maharaja to be able to compile astronomical tables, and to predict the times and movements of the sun, moon and planets. I chose this particular photo as I liked the position of the staircase behind the jharokha (window). Despite the partially visible staircase, it looks as if the window is trying to hide something. I also like the symmetry that exists in the window's upper curve which is repeated at the bottom of the photograph.

Do put your comments/feedback/thoughts about the picture.

No comments: